Buildings Associated With Members of St. John’s Lodge No. 21
Here are some buildings associated with members of St. John’s Lodge No. 21, listed in chronological order of construction date. We will be adding more buildings as we do more research.
28 Roberts Street – built circa 1900. John Stewart, Worshipful Master of St. John’s Lodge No. 21 in 1908, operated his business in 28 Roberts Street until 1905, when he moved to 18 Roberts Street.
641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith, B.C.
Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn (1850-1939), the first Mayor of Ladysmith, by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins.
18 Roberts Street, Ladysmith
Built circa 1905 for John Stewart, a Past Master of St. John’s Lodge No. 21, who used the building as an office for his business as a notary public, real estate agent and insurance agent.
18 Roberts Street is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
1030 2nd Avenue, Ladysmith
Moved from Wellington to its present location in Ladysmith circa 1905.
Was the family home of St. John’s Lodge No. 21 member David Davidson.
341 1st Avenue, Ladysmith
Built in 1910 as a commercial building with residential apartments on the second floor. It still retains that original configuration.
In the 1920’s and 1930’s the building housed Lowe’s Garage, operated by St. John’s Lodge No. 21 member, Ira Eugene Lowe (died 1947, aged 69).
9749 Willow Street, Chemainus
This building was built in 1927 by Chemainus Lodge No. 114 as the Chemainus Masonic Temple.
Several members of St. John’s Lodge No. 21, who were also members of Chemainus Lodge No. 114, played leading roles in construction of this building.
Chemainus Lodge No. 114 sold this building in the 1980’s. It is now being used as a restaurant.
Please note that this page is UNDER CONSTRUCTION and we will be adding more buildings to it as we do additional research.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?